Atech Let’s play with the trains!
This app for iPhone, iPad touch or iPad is a great free beginner app. It has a simple cause and effect interface that no matter where a child touches or draws a train track will appear. once a line or squiggle is drawn, it is soon followed by a variety of trains with really cool train sounds.
Something I like about this app is that it doesn’t have too many options so when using it for a reinforcement activity the kids can take a quick turn without obsessing over specific features.
There are several options that can be controlled:
- A picture of the scene can be posted on twitter (not sure why this is needed):bird in the lower right hand corner
- The background can be changed (great for conversations and where the trains are and where they are going):arrows in the lower right hand corner
- Clearing the tracks to start again:garbage can in the lower right hand corner
- Pause: bottom right hand corner
- Info (in app purchases to remove adds, and download all their other apps): “i” in the top left corner
All of these option are tiny on the iPhone/IPod touch, and hard to manipulate by little fingers. However, the Ad on the bottom of the screen is quite easy to activat
e by little fingers. I would suggest purchasing the app to remove the In App Ads or to turn on airplane mode, so that little fingers don’t access the appstore or twitter.
Overall this is a great app, and a lot of fun for kids 2-6 yrs of age.